Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I am a Worthless Hack

So much for dedication to intellectual discord. I kept telling myself that once I got a job and had taken shots from the bottle of success, I'd be back in the fold, hurling brilliance onto the internet in the name of Jesus Christ. Instead, I've been alternating between fanatical obsession with my new bed and trying to win trivia night again.

It was just brought to my attention that this month culminates with the pinnacle of class and dignity, Halloween. I need to start getting my costume ready, ideally some archaic television icon from my youth. Or maybe a pimp... The problem with living in Brooklyn is that I want to come up with something clever and personally relevant, but at the same time, I need it to be totally ridiculous so I don't like some super-cool douche bag flaunting my obscure pop culture knowledge (I really wish I hadn't given my dad the Bender idea for his Halloween party least year; it's such solid gold, but I refuse to recycle). I could always put a skeleton on a stick, dress in black, try to hide behind stuff and be a Deadite. Wait, that's an awesome idea. Pretend you never read this.

Final thought before my reflection on food: Why does the fact that teams like USF and BC are at the top of the college polls mean something is wrong? Is the point of !College Football! is to make sure that same teams win ever year to ensure successful branding? Ridiculous nonsense.

Thought for Food(R):
I finally started making my own salsa. It's completely delicious, and you can add whatever you want to make it perfect. My basic recipe:

3 plum tomatoes, chopped to preference
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalepeno, with seeds and white part cleared out to preference (this controls heat) and minced
1/4 to 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro (I didn't measure)
Chopped bell pepper (red, yellow or orange are my fav) to preference
About a tsp of salt, maybe more if you you think it needs it

Prepare all the ingredients as stated about. Cover the bottom of a small saucepan with water (just to absorb heat, the tomatoes will provide plenty of water) and put it on the stove on low. Dump all the ingredients in and stir occasionally, until the texture pleases you. If it still tastes watery, add salt. Let cool on the stove until you can put it into tupperware without melting it. Should be great by the next day.

Also, Roebling Tea House served me the best pork loin I've had in who knows when.

No comments: