Sunday, September 21, 2008

Atop a Flimsy Pedestal

The other day, I was reading a women's dating blog. The posts consisted of advice on what guys to date or ditch, how to deal with getting dumped, and whether bitching to your girlfriends was good for your relationship. The occasional pearl of wisdom notwithstanding, it was mostly senseless driven and idiocy. The fact that someone had even thought of writing it left me aghast.

And for some reason, I couldn't stop reading it.

Then it occurred to me: I love reading stupid things that make me angry. Other people's stupidity makes me feel great about myself. This is the one and only reason that I have ever participated in a message board; I read someone else's stupidity on the internet, and I feel an insatiable need to tell them how stupid they are.

I am quite certain that this is not a unique quirk to my personality. This is why people become music snobs, wine snobs, book snobs, bowling snobs, football snobs, or anything snobs. We love being smarter than someone about something.

I feel like I had more to write here, but I was just waylaid by the insatiable desire to listen to, and sing along with, "Raspberry Beret" by Prince.

No comments: